Erotic Naughty Spicy

Monday 2 December 2013

The 12 Days of Grateful...

"One the first day of Christmas, my true love gave to me a partridge in a pear tree."

I made the decision to start off the new year early and share why I am grateful during the Holiday season and frankly, everyday thereafter.  Now what I'm going to be sharing in the next twelve days may seem that some things, desires, thoughts and emotions may be a bit unconventional, strange, everyday and traditional.  And my twelve days of grateful has no order of importance, just that all is important to me.

So, here goes.

On my first day of grateful I have to say is Marvel's X-Men comics!  I grew up in the 80s and what a decade of awesome.  The movies were great, the music memorable (The Smiths, The Cure, and Duran Duran rocked my world!) and Marvel comics helped shape my wanderlust of the What ifs and imagination.

I started collecting X-Men comics when I went to CEGEP (college in Montreal). I was about seventeen and any chance I had to squeeze in a comic shop trip in between classes, I was doing it.  There was this dive type comic shop at the East end of St. Catherine's street that I braved at least two or three times a week.  Yeah, I was an avid comic reader.  The store was on the second floor with creaky stairs and a rundown look, but this less than stellar looking comic shop had X-men comics that I was devouring at a voracious rate and the prices were pretty good.

Besides, the shop was close to the bus station so I could hop on one during the evening rush hour and read my new comic before getting home.

Everything about X-Men comics from the amazing storyline, awesome characters and incredible artwork to the countless moments of just enjoying it all for no reason because I could.  I was on the cusp of adulthood and frankly, I didn't care if people saw me reading comics. X-Men comics opened my eyes to the injustices, intolerance, judgement and sentence of those who were different than the norm. 

Okay, the characters were mutants, but they were also heroes.  And in my young mind that was what mattered.  The whole point of reading X-Men comics was enjoyment, escapism and awareness.  The comics helped shape me to be a better person, because I saw more through the medium and it allowed me to shape my belief system that everyone is equal and have the right to just be who they are.

Come on, who didn't want to be a superhero when they were younger.  I always loved Rogue from X-Men, because of her sassy attitude and kick ass powers.  She had the coolest outfits and her hair rocked!

So, yeah, I am grateful for Marvel X-men comics.  What are you grateful for?

Take care and cheers!

Jorja

No comments: